Sunday 7 April 2013

She saw seashells on the seashore...

So a new style of clock for me to show you today and the term "square peg round hole" springs to mind with this design!
When I first saw the shell corner from the "Walk Along the Sea" kit I knew I wanted to make some sort of 3D frame.
Initially I thought about making it into a mini picture to hang or stand, something dimensional.
I made a sample frame to start with and then when I looked at the centre opening it occurred to me it was about the size of my clock faces. So the clock idea for this was born from there!
My vision was to create an "antique" looking clock something that may have once been a treasured possession.
The frame was made by stamping the shell corner four times to form the frame and embossing it in gold.
I used the splodge mat with distress ink pads in antique linen and victorian velvet to blend colour onto the shell frame and mounted it onto a second piece of card for strength before cutting it out.
I cut my own chipboard by using 3 layers of cereal carton for the square background behind the frame and punched a central hole for my clock fitting.
The background on the square was created on a further piece of white card to which I blended distress ink pads again this time using, antique linen and tea dye.
Then I used the crackle stamp, stamped in tea dye over the background this was then glued on top of the chipboard base.
I cut the inner circle from a spellbinders grand circle and stamped and embossed the numbers from the Clarity Numbers and Symbols lesson 13 Kit. Then used the victorian velvet in the centre to colour and stamp the crackle stamp and the antique linen on the outer rim blended inwards.
The embellishments were made by shrinking the verses and various shells in shrink plastic from the "Shell to Your Ear" and "Walk Along the Sea" Kits.
To add further dimension to the frame I decoupaged and layered up some of the shells and once
finished assembled with the clock movement.

6 comments:

Lynne said...

I love this clock Karen. The shells frame it perfectly. x

DBL28 said...

It is absolutely beautiful Karen. I love everything you do but I think this is now my favourite!

Lavender Rose said...

This is simply gorgeous! I have just ordered those beautiful shell stamps.

Mindful craft said...

Thanks so much Lynne, I enjoyed making this, it was a change with the shaped frame xx

Mindful craft said...

thanks so much Dawn, it's great seeing you over on the Clarity blog, love your work too :-) xx

Mindful craft said...

Thank you so much Lavender Rose, have you used your stamps yet? xx